Slate Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Slate? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Words ending with Slate, Related sentences, Synonyms, How to pronounce? Example sentences, Derivations, Words starting with Slate, Antonyms and more...
How to pronounce: sleɪt
1. A fine-grained gray, green, or bluish metamorphic rock easily split into smooth, flat pieces.
Example sentences: "Slate quarries"
2. A flat piece of slate used for writing on, typically framed in wood, formerly used in schools.
Example sentences: "The teacher was demonstrating, the children copying onto slates"
3. A bluish-gray color.
Example sentences: "Suits of slate gray"
4. A list of candidates for election to a post or office, typically a group sharing a set of political views.
Example sentences: "Another slate of candidates will be picked for the state convention"
5. A board showing the identifying details of a take of a motion picture, which is held in front of the camera at its beginning and end.
Example sentences: "The electronic time-code system allowed us to shoot with or without conventional slates"
1. Cover (something, especially a roof) with slates.
Example sentences: "He was working for his father slating a new roof"
2. Criticize severely.
3. Schedule; plan.
Example sentences: "Renovations are slated for late June"
4. Identify (a movie take) using a slate.
Example sentences: "The assistant cameraman is about to slate the scene"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Slate
Slate in Other Languages...