Stroke Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Stroke? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Example sentences, Words starting with Stroke, Synonyms, Related sentences, How to pronounce? Antonyms, Words ending with Stroke, Derivations and more...
How to pronounce: strəʊk
1. An act of hitting or striking someone or something; a blow.
Example sentences: "He received three strokes of the cane"
2. A mark made by drawing a pen, pencil, or paintbrush in one direction across paper or canvas.
Example sentences: "The paint had been applied in careful, regular strokes"
3. An act of moving one's hand across a surface with gentle pressure.
Example sentences: "Massage the cream into your skin using light upward strokes"
4. A movement, especially one of a series, in which something moves out of its position and back into it; a beat.
Example sentences: "The ray swam with effortless strokes of its huge wings"
5. A sudden disabling attack or loss of consciousness caused by an interruption in the flow of blood to the brain, especially through thrombosis.
Example sentences: "He was left disabled by a stroke"
1. Move one's hand with gentle pressure over (a surface, especially hair, fur, or skin), typically repeatedly; caress.
Example sentences: "He put his hand on her hair and stroked it"
2. Act as the stroke of (a boat or crew)
Example sentences: "He stroked Penn's rowing eight to victory"
3. Hit or kick (a ball) smoothly and deliberately.
Example sentences: "Miller calmly stroked three-pointers throughout the tournament"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Stroke
Stroke in Other Languages...