Suit Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Suit? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Words ending with Suit, Example sentences, Words starting with Suit, Related sentences, Derivations, How to pronounce? Antonyms, Synonyms and more...
How to pronounce: sjuːt
1. A set of outer clothes made of the same fabric and designed to be worn together, typically consisting of a jacket and trousers or a jacket and skirt.
Example sentences: "A pinstriped suit"
2. Any of the sets distinguished by their pictorial symbols into which a deck of playing cards is divided, in conventional decks comprising spades, hearts, diamonds, and clubs.
Example sentences: "The classic order of suits is hearts above diamonds, and spades above clubs."
3. Short for lawsuit
Example sentences: "Ads designed to assemble litigants for class action suits represent an explosive area of growth in legal advertising."
4. The process of trying to win a woman's affection with a view to marriage.
Example sentences: "He could not compete with John's charms in Marian's eyes and his suit came to nothing"
5. A complete set of sails required for a ship or for a set of spars.
Example sentences: "They went ashore and changed to another suit of sails"
1. Be convenient for or acceptable to.
Example sentences: "The apartment has two bedrooms—if it suits, you can have one of them"
2. Go well with or enhance the features, figure, or character of (someone)
Example sentences: "The dress didn't suit her"
3. Put on clothes, especially for a particular activity.
Example sentences: "I suited up and entered the water"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Suit
Suit in Other Languages...