Tan Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Tan? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Example sentences, Derivations, Synonyms, Related sentences, Words starting with Tan, How to pronounce? Antonyms, Words ending with Tan and more...
How to pronounce: tæn
1. A yellowish-brown color.
Example sentences: "The overall color scheme of tan and cream"
2. A brown or darkened shade of skin developed after exposure to the sun.
Example sentences: "Jenna managed to get an even golden tan"
3. Bark of oak or other trees, bruised and used as a source of tannin for converting hides into leather.Bark from which the tannin has been extracted, used for covering the ground for walking, riding, playgrounds, etc., and in gardening.
Example sentences: "Back in America, Quercus prinus was better known as mountain or rock oak, after its preferred habitat; tanbark oak after its preferred use; and nowadays, chestnut oak after the shape of its leaves."
1. (of a person or their skin) become brown or darkened after exposure to the sun.
Example sentences: "You'll tan very quickly in the pure air"
2. Convert (animal skin) into leather by soaking in a liquid containing tannic acid, or by the use of other chemicals.
Example sentences: "They also came from the odiferous chemicals used to tan animal hides into leather."
3. Beat (someone) repeatedly as a punishment.
1. Of a yellowish-brown color.
Example sentences: "A tan baseball cap with orange piping"
2. (of a person) having brown or darkened skin after exposure to the sun.
Example sentences: "She looks tall, tan, and healthy"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Tan
Tan in Other Languages...