Argument Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Argument? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Words starting with Argument, Synonyms, Example sentences, How to pronounce? Derivations, Words ending with Argument, Related sentences, Antonyms and more...
How to pronounce: ˈɑːgjʊmənt
1. An exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.
Example sentences: "I've had an argument with my father"
2. A reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.
Example sentences: "There is a strong argument for submitting a formal appeal"
3. An independent variable associated with a function and determining the value of the function. For example, in the expression y = F(x₁, x₂), the arguments of the function F are x₁ and x₂, and the value is y.
Example sentences: "Abel's theorem states that any such sum can be expressed as a fixed number p of these integrals, with integration arguments that are algebraic functions of the original arguments."
4. Any of the noun phrases in a clause that are related directly to the verb, typically the subject, direct object, and indirect object.
Example sentences: "It does not contain a semantic predicate, either, because the anaphor is not an argument of the verb."
5. A summary of the subject matter of a book.
line of reasoning
Keep in Mind
Images related to Argument
Argument in Other Languages...