Back Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Back? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Related sentences, Example sentences, Synonyms, Words ending with Back, Words starting with Back, Derivations, Antonyms, How to pronounce and more...
How to pronounce: bæk
1. The rear surface of the human body from the shoulders to the hips.
Example sentences: "He lay on his back"
2. The side or part of something that is away from the spectator or from the direction in which it moves or faces; the rear.
Example sentences: "At the back of the hotel is a secluded garden"
3. A player in a field game whose initial position is behind the front line.
Example sentences: "Their backs showed some impressive running and passing"
1. Toward the rear; in the opposite direction from the one that one is facing or traveling.
Example sentences: "She moved back a pace"
2. Expressing a return to an earlier or normal condition.
Example sentences: "She put the book back on the shelf"
3. In or into the past.
Example sentences: "He made his fortune back in 1955"
4. In return.
Example sentences: "They wrote back to me"
1. Give financial, material, or moral support to.
Example sentences: "He had a newspaper empire backing him"
2. Walk or drive backward.
Example sentences: "I put the car in reverse and backed down the road"
3. Cover the back of (an object) in order to support, protect, or decorate it.
Example sentences: "A mirror backed with tortoiseshell"
4. Lie behind or at the back of.
Example sentences: "The promenade is backed by lots of cafes"
1. Of or at the back of something.
Example sentences: "The back garden"
2. (especially of wages or something published or released) from or relating to the past.
Example sentences: "She was owed back pay"
3. Directed toward the rear or in a reversed course.
4. (of a sound) articulated at the back of the mouth.
Example sentences: "A long back vowel, as in 'dance' or 'bath'"
at the rear
Back in Other Languages...