Balance Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Balance? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Words starting with Balance, Example sentences, Related sentences, Derivations, Words ending with Balance, Antonyms, Synonyms, How to pronounce and more...
How to pronounce: ˈbæləns
1. An even distribution of weight enabling someone or something to remain upright and steady.
Example sentences: "She lost her balance before falling"
2. A condition in which different elements are equal or in the correct proportions.
Example sentences: "Try to keep a balance between work and relaxation"
3. An apparatus for weighing, especially one with a central pivot, beam, and a pair of scales.
Example sentences: "The atomic weight of an element - the quantity chemists could weigh with scales and balances - depends on the number of protons and neutrons, which have virtually equal masses."
4. A counteracting weight or force.
Example sentences: "Allow centrifugal force to provide balance while both skates tip onto their left edges in the turn."
5. A predominating weight or amount; the majority.
Example sentences: "The balance of opinion was that work was more important than leisure"
6. A figure representing the difference between credits and debits in an account; the amount of money held in an account.
Example sentences: "He accumulated a healthy balance with the savings bank"
1. Keep or put (something) in a steady position so that it does not fall.
Example sentences: "A mug that she balanced on her knee"
2. Offset or compare the value of (one thing) with another.
Example sentences: "The cost of obtaining such information needs to be balanced against its benefits"
3. Compare debits and credits in (an account), typically to ensure that they are equal.
Example sentences: "The law requires the council to balance its books each year"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Balance
Balance in Other Languages...