Behind Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Behind? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Example sentences, Derivations, Related sentences, Antonyms, How to pronounce? Words ending with Behind, Words starting with Behind, Synonyms and more...
How to pronounce: bɪˈhaɪnd
1. At or to the far side of (something), typically so as to be hidden by it.
Example sentences: "The recording machinery was kept behind screens"
2. In a line or procession, following or further back than (another member of the line or procession)
Example sentences: "Stuck behind a slow-moving tractor"
3. In support of or giving guidance to (someone else)
Example sentences: "Whatever you decide to do, I'll be behind you"
4. After the departure or death of (the person referred to)
Example sentences: "He left behind him a manuscript that was subsequently published"
5. Less advanced than (someone else) in achievement or development.
Example sentences: "The government admitted it is ten years behind the West in PC technology"
6. Having a lower score than (another competitor)
Example sentences: "Woodnam moved to ten under par, five shots behind Fred Couples"
1. At or to the far side or the back side of something.
Example sentences: "Campbell grabbed him from behind"
2. Remaining after someone or something is gone.
Example sentences: "Don't leave me behind"
3. Further back than other members of a group.
Example sentences: "Bill led the way, with the others a short distance behind"
4. (in a game or contest) having a score lower than that of the opposition.
Example sentences: "Polls showed him as much as 50 points behind"
5. Slow or late in accomplishing a task.
Example sentences: "Getting behind with my work"
6. In a place or time already past.
Example sentences: "The adventure lay behind them"
1. The buttocks.
2. A one-point score made by kicking the ball between the outer set of two sets of goalposts (the behind line), or by touching the ball, causing it to pass between the inner posts (goalposts).
Example sentences: "In an amazing hour of football stretching over the first, second and third quarters the two teams combined to kick 16 straight behinds."
at the rear
Keep in Mind
Images related to Behind
Behind in Other Languages...