Bend Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Bend? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Related sentences, Words ending with Bend, Antonyms, How to pronounce? Words starting with Bend, Synonyms, Derivations, Example sentences and more...
How to pronounce: bend
1. Shape or force (something straight) into a curve or angle.
Example sentences: "The rising wind bent the long grass"
2. (of a person) incline the body downward from the vertical.
Example sentences: "I bent over my plate"
3. Force or be forced to submit.
Example sentences: "They want to bend me to their will"
4. Direct or devote (one's attention or energies) to a task.
Example sentences: "Eric bent all his efforts to persuading them to donate some blankets"
5. Attach (a sail or rope) by means of a knot.
Example sentences: "Sailors were bending sails to the spars"
1. A curve, especially a sharp one, in a road, river, racecourse, or path.
Example sentences: "The van screeched around a bend"
2. A curved or angled part or form of something.
Example sentences: "Making a bend in the wire"
3. A kind of knot used to join two ropes, or to tie a rope to another object, e.g. a carrick bend.
Example sentences: "Even so it is a very secure bend and can put up with a good deal of strain and movement. It can also be used to tie a bend with thin line."
4. Decompression sickness, especially in divers.
Example sentences: "The disease suffered by divers known as the bends (decompression sickness) is an example of the same phenomenon."
1. An ordinary in the form of a broad diagonal stripe from top left (dexter chief) to bottom right (sinister base) of a shield or part of one.
Example sentences: "This device of a fountain appears in the arms of the family, where six wells, which form the source of the River Stour appear with a bend on the shield."
1. A city in central Oregon; population 77,181 (est. 2008).
Keep in Mind
Images related to Bend
Bend in Other Languages...