Seed Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Seed? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Example sentences, Words ending with Seed, Related sentences, Words starting with Seed, Antonyms, How to pronounce? Synonyms, Derivations and more...
How to pronounce: siːd
1. A flowering plant's unit of reproduction, capable of developing into another such plant.
Example sentences: "Cut open the peppers and remove the seeds"
2. A man's semen.
Example sentences: "In a similar way, human males feel a biological need to release their seed at frequent intervals."
3. Any of a number of stronger competitors in a sports tournament who have been assigned a specified position in an ordered list with the aim of ensuring that they do not play each other in the early rounds.
Example sentences: "He knocked the top seed out of the championships"
4. A small crystal introduced into a liquid to act as a nucleus for crystallization.
Example sentences: "Spherulites are ideally spherical mineral growths formed by initial crystallization of a seed crystal, or crystallite, within a melt or a solution that grows outward in all directions."
5. A small container for radioactive material placed in body tissue during radiotherapy.
1. Sow (land) with seeds.
Example sentences: "The shoreline is seeded with a special grass"
2. (of a plant) produce or drop seeds.
Example sentences: "Mulches encourage many plants to seed freely"
3. Remove the seeds from (vegetables or fruit)
Example sentences: "Stem and seed the chilies"
4. Give (a competitor) the status of seed in a tournament.
Example sentences: "Jeff Tarango, seeded five, was defeated by fellow American Todd Witsken"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Seed
Seed in Other Languages...