Shell Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Shell? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Related sentences, Synonyms, How to pronounce? Words ending with Shell, Derivations, Example sentences, Words starting with Shell, Antonyms and more...
How to pronounce: ʃel
1. The hard protective outer case of a mollusk or crustacean.
Example sentences: "Cowrie shells"
2. An explosive artillery projectile or bomb.
Example sentences: "The sound of the shell passing over, followed by the explosion"
3. Something resembling or likened to a shell because of its shape or its function as an outer case.
Example sentences: "Pasta shells"
4. The metal framework of a vehicle body.
Example sentences: "As they closed a hatch, a dozen of men appeared on the platform, but their blasters could not do any harm to the metal shell of the vehicle."
5. A light racing boat used in the sport of crew.
Example sentences: "The glow from the rising sun reflects off the sleek rowing shells as they glide on the Mississippi River."
6. An inner or roughly made coffin.
7. The hand guard of a sword.
8. Each of a set of orbitals around the nucleus of an atom, occupied or able to be occupied by electrons of similar energies.
Example sentences: "In a multi-electron atom, the lowest energy shells fill up first"
9. Short for shell program
Example sentences: "All UNIX / Linux shells support output redirection using the same syntax."
1. Bombard with shells.
Example sentences: "The guns started shelling their positions"
2. Remove the shell or pod from (a nut or seed)
Example sentences: "They were shelling peas"
3. Gather seashells.
coat of mail
Keep in Mind
Images related to Shell
Shell in Other Languages...