Short Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Short? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Antonyms, Synonyms, Related sentences, How to pronounce? Words ending with Short, Derivations, Example sentences, Words starting with Short and more...
How to pronounce: ʃɔːt
1. Measuring a small distance from end to end.
Example sentences: "Short dark hair"
2. Lasting or taking a small amount of time.
Example sentences: "Visiting London for a short break"
3. Relatively small in extent.
Example sentences: "A short speech"
4. (of a vowel) categorized as short with regard to quality and length (e.g. in standard British English the vowel /ʊ/ in good is short as distinct from the long vowel /uː/ in food).
5. (of a person) terse; uncivil.
6. (of odds or a chance) reflecting or representing a high level of probability.
7. (of pastry) containing a high proportion of fat to flour and therefore crumbly.
1. (chiefly in sport) at, to, or over a relatively small distance.
1. A drink of spirits served in a small measure.
2. A short film as opposed to a feature film.
3. A short sound such as a short signal in Morse code or a short vowel or syllable.
4. A short circuit.
5. A person who sells short.
6. A mixture of bran and coarse flour.
1. Short-circuit or cause to short-circuit.
Example sentences: "The electrical circuit had shorted out"
2. Sell (stocks or other securities or commodities) in advance of acquiring them, with the aim of making a profit when the price falls.
Keep in Mind
Images related to Short
Short in Other Languages...