Shorter Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Shorter? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Derivations, Synonyms, How to pronounce? Example sentences, Words starting with Shorter, Related sentences, Words ending with Shorter, Antonyms and more...
1. Measuring a small distance from end to end.
Example sentences: "Short dark hair"
2. Lasting or taking a small amount of time.
Example sentences: "Visiting London for a short break"
3. Relatively small in extent.
Example sentences: "A short speech"
4. (of a vowel) categorized as short with regard to quality and length (e.g. in standard British English the vowel /ʊ/ in good is short as distinct from the long vowel /uː/ in food).
Example sentences: "Maybe it's all part of a plan to nullify the threat from the land of the short sharp vowel."
5. (of a person) terse; uncivil.
Example sentences: "He was often sharp and rather short with her"
6. (of odds or a chance) reflecting or representing a high level of probability.
Example sentences: "They have been backed at short odds to win thousands of pounds"
7. (of pastry) containing a high proportion of fat to flour and therefore crumbly.
Example sentences: "The easiest way to do this with very short pastry is wrap it lightly around the rolling pin, lift the pastry up on the rolling pin, and lay it on top of the fruit."
1. (chiefly in sport) at, to, or over a relatively small distance.
Example sentences: "You go deep and you go short"
1. A drink of spirits served in a small measure.
Example sentences: "Nicholas said he had drunk about six shorts and other alcohol and had taken heroin in the hours leading up to the encounter."
2. A short film as opposed to a feature film.
Example sentences: "Arteta made several well-received shorts and the feature film Star Maps, about a would-be movie star who makes a living selling Hollywood maps - and sex."
3. A short sound such as a short signal in Morse code or a short vowel or syllable.
Example sentences: "Her call was two longs and a short"
4. A short circuit.
Example sentences: "The transformer laminations or coating of shellac, enamel or varnish is to insulate adjacent turns from shorts between winding."
5. A person who sells short.
Example sentences: "During a downtrend, shorts are selling aggressively while the only participants that are buying are bottom pickers."
6. A mixture of bran and coarse flour.
1. Short-circuit or cause to short-circuit.
Example sentences: "The electrical circuit had shorted out"
2. Sell (stocks or other securities or commodities) in advance of acquiring them, with the aim of making a profit when the price falls.
Example sentences: "The rule prevents sellers from shorting a stock unless the last trade resulted in a price increase"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Shorter
Shorter in Other Languages...