Single Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Single? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Derivations, Antonyms, Example sentences, How to pronounce? Related sentences, Synonyms, Words ending with Single, Words starting with Single and more...
How to pronounce: sɪŋgl
1. Only one; not one of several.
Example sentences: "A single red rose"
2. Unmarried or not involved in a stable sexual relationship.
Example sentences: "A single mother"
3. Consisting of one part.
Example sentences: "The studio was a single large room"
4. Free from duplicity or deceit; ingenuous.
Example sentences: "A pure and single heart"
1. An individual person or thing rather than part of a pair or a group.
Example sentences: "The end result is a photography of mythical proportions that is camouflaged in paint and operates in singles rather than multiples."
2. A hit that allows the batter to reach first base safely.
Example sentences: "The next batter hits a line-drive single to right past an outstretched second baseman."
3. (especially in tennis and badminton) a game or competition for individual players, not pairs or teams.
Example sentences: "The result also keeps Scotland in contention for the coveted Leonard Trophy, awarded to the nation with the best overall-points total from the singles, pairs, triples and fours."
1. Choose someone or something from a group for special treatment.
Example sentences: "One newspaper was singled out for criticism"
2. Hit a single.
Example sentences: "Aaron singled to center"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Single
Single in Other Languages...