Sinking Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Sinking? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Antonyms, Words starting with Sinking, Related sentences, Words ending with Sinking, Synonyms, How to pronounce? Example sentences, Derivations and more...
How to pronounce: ˈsɪŋkɪŋ
1. Go down below the surface of something, especially of a liquid; become submerged.
Example sentences: "He saw the coffin sink below the surface of the waves"
2. Descend from a higher to a lower position; drop downwards.
Example sentences: "You can relax on the veranda as the sun sinks low"
3. Gradually decrease or decline in value, amount, quality, or intensity.
Example sentences: "Their output sank to a third of the pre-war figure"
4. Insert beneath a surface.
Example sentences: "Rails fixed in place with screws sunk below the surface of the wood"
5. Rapidly consume (an alcoholic drink)
1. A fixed basin with a water supply and outflow pipe.
Example sentences: "I stood at the kitchen sink"
2. A pool or marsh in which a river's water disappears by evaporation or percolation.
3. Short for sinkhole
4. A place of vice or corruption.
Example sentences: "A sink of unnatural vice, pride, and luxury"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Sinking
Sinking in Other Languages...