Slip Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Slip? What is its meaning in the dictionary? How to pronounce? Words ending with Slip, Antonyms, Example sentences, Derivations, Words starting with Slip, Synonyms, Related sentences and more...
How to pronounce: slɪp
1. (of a person or animal) slide unintentionally for a short distance, typically losing one's balance or footing.
Example sentences: "I slipped on the ice"
2. Go or move quietly or quickly, without attracting notice.
Example sentences: "We slipped out by a back door"
3. Pass or change to a lower, worse, or different condition, typically in a gradual or imperceptible way.
Example sentences: "Many people feel standards have slipped"
4. Escape or get loose from (a means of restraint)
Example sentences: "The giant balloon slipped its moorings"
1. An act of sliding unintentionally for a short distance.
Example sentences: "A single slip could send them plummeting down the mountainside"
2. A fall to a lower level or standard.
Example sentences: "A continued slip in house prices"
3. A woman's loose-fitting, dress- or skirt-length undergarment, suspended by shoulder straps (full slip) or by an elasticized waistband (half slip)
Example sentences: "A silk slip"
4. A slope built leading into water, used for launching and landing boats and ships or for building and repairing them.
Example sentences: "He brought his steamer to the yard for overhaul at his old employer's slip"
5. A leash which enables a dog to be released quickly.
Example sentences: "Tommy bolted off like a greyhound released from the slips"
6. Short for slip stitch
1. A small piece of paper, typically a form for writing on or one giving printed information.
Example sentences: "His monthly salary slip"
2. A cutting taken from a plant for grafting or planting; a scion.
Example sentences: "The idea is that gardeners will deliver extra plants, slips, seeds and seedlings to the Horticultural Training Centre at Zoo Lake."
1. A creamy mixture of clay, water, and typically a pigment, used especially for decorating earthenware.
Example sentences: "It could also be decorated by painting with a slip (a creamy mixture of fine clay and water) of a different colour to the body."
Keep in Mind
Images related to Slip
Slip in Other Languages...