Sound Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Sound? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Words starting with Sound, Example sentences, Words ending with Sound, Derivations, Antonyms, Synonyms, Related sentences, How to pronounce and more...
How to pronounce: saʊnd
1. Vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person's or animal's ear.
Example sentences: "Light travels faster than sound"
2. Sound produced by continuous and regular vibrations, as opposed to noise.
Example sentences: "The sound produced by drums is short; thus, any continuous sound can be produced only by rapid repetition."
3. Music, speech, and sound effects when recorded, used to accompany a film or video production, or broadcast.
Example sentences: "A sound studio"
4. The ideas or impressions conveyed by words.
Example sentences: "You've had a hard day, by the sound of it"
1. Emit or cause to emit sound.
Example sentences: "A loud buzzer sounded"
2. Convey a specified impression when heard.
Example sentences: "He sounded worried"
1. In good condition; not damaged, injured, or diseased.
Example sentences: "They returned safe and sound"
2. Based on reason, sense, or judgment.
Example sentences: "Sound advice for healthy living"
3. (of sleep) deep and undisturbed.
Example sentences: "A doze that deepened into a sound sleep"
Example sentences: "Such people should be given a sound thrashing"
Example sentences: "He was sound asleep"
1. Ascertain (the depth of water), typically by means of a line or pole or using sound echoes.
Example sentences: "Mr. Pattison was sounding the depth of the water with a pole"
2. Question (someone), typically in a cautious or discreet way, as to their opinions or feelings on a subject.
Example sentences: "We'll sound out our representatives first"
3. (especially of a whale) dive down steeply to a great depth.
Example sentences: "He sounded, arching his back steeply and raising his rubbery flukes in the air"
1. A long surgical probe, typically with a curved, blunt end.
Example sentences: "A uterine sound is described having a probe with measuring indicia inscribed thereon."
1. A narrow stretch of water forming an inlet or connecting two wider areas of water such as two seas or a sea and a lake.
Keep in Mind
Images related to Sound
Sound in Other Languages...