Spindle Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Spindle? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Antonyms, How to pronounce? Synonyms, Words starting with Spindle, Related sentences, Words ending with Spindle, Derivations, Example sentences and more...
How to pronounce: spɪndl
1. A slender rounded rod with tapered ends used in hand spinning to twist and wind thread from a mass of wool or flax held on a distaff.
Example sentences: "There'll always be a huge demand here for raw wool from Australia, provided we can keep the spindles here spinning wool and keep them away from spinning synthetics."
2. A rod or pin serving as an axis that revolves or on which something revolves.
Example sentences: "It is for this reason that we spot-face our cranks at the same time we drill the hole for the pedal spindle and bottom bracket axis."
3. A slender mass of microtubules formed when a cell divides. At metaphase the chromosomes become attached to it by their centromeres before being pulled toward its ends.
Example sentences: "A critical step in the cell cycle is the proper attachment of chromosomes to the mitotic spindle during metaphase."
4. A shrub or small tree with slender toothed leaves and pink capsules containing bright orange seeds. The hard timber was formerly used for making spindles.
Example sentences: "A lime tree there is already turning a beautiful bright yellow, and a large Himalayan spindle bush is taking on rich red and pink colouring."
1. Impale (a piece of paper) on a metal spindle for temporary filing purposes.
Example sentences: "Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Spindle
Spindle in Other Languages...