Spirit Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Spirit? What is its meaning in the dictionary? How to pronounce? Words ending with Spirit, Related sentences, Derivations, Synonyms, Example sentences, Antonyms, Words starting with Spirit and more...
How to pronounce: ˈspɪrɪt
1. The nonphysical part of a person which is the seat of emotions and character; the soul.
Example sentences: "We seek a harmony between body and spirit"
2. Those qualities regarded as forming the definitive or typical elements in the character of a person, nation, or group or in the thought and attitudes of a particular period.
Example sentences: "The university is a symbol of the nation's egalitarian spirit"
3. Strong distilled liquor such as brandy, whiskey, gin, or rum.
Example sentences: "The type of alcohol ranged from beers, lagers and cider to spirits, wine and designer drinks such as Hooch, Bacardi Breezers and Maverick Ice."
4. A highly refined substance or fluid thought to govern vital phenomena.
Example sentences: "For it, he drew once again on Harvey's discovery of the circulation of the blood, and proposed that it was one part of a complicated system involving animal and vital spirits."
1. Convey rapidly and secretly.
Example sentences: "Stolen cows were spirited away some distance to prevent detection"
Spirit in Other Languages...