Spur Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Spur? What is its meaning in the dictionary? How to pronounce? Derivations, Related sentences, Example sentences, Words starting with Spur, Words ending with Spur, Antonyms, Synonyms and more...
How to pronounce: spɜː
1. A device with a small spike or a spiked wheel that is worn on a rider's heel and used for urging a horse forward.
Example sentences: "Jacobs said he used the spurs to control the horse and that any force he used was to control the horse and keep himself out of danger."
2. A thing that prompts or encourages someone; an incentive.
Example sentences: "Profit was both the spur and the reward of enterprise"
3. A projection from a mountain or mountain range.
Example sentences: "It's an easy walk up the spur that leads to the summit"
1. Urge (a horse) forward by digging one's spurs into its sides.
2. Give an incentive or encouragement to (someone)
3. Prune in (a side shoot of a plant) so as to form a spur close to the stem.
Keep in Mind
Images related to Spur
Spur in Other Languages...