Stand Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Stand? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Words starting with Stand, How to pronounce? Words ending with Stand, Derivations, Antonyms, Example sentences, Synonyms, Related sentences and more...
How to pronounce: stænd
1. Have or maintain an upright position, supported by one's feet.
Example sentences: "Lionel stood in the doorway"
2. (of an object, building, or settlement) be situated in a particular place or position.
Example sentences: "The town stood on a hill"
3. Be in a specified state or condition.
Example sentences: "Since mother's death the house had stood empty"
4. Withstand (an experience or test) without being damaged.
Example sentences: "Small boats that could stand the punishment of heavy seas"
5. Be a candidate in an election.
Example sentences: "He stood for parliament in 1968"
6. Provide (food or drink) for (someone) at one's own expense.
Example sentences: "Somebody in the bar would stand him a beer"
1. An attitude toward a particular issue; a position taken in an argument.
Example sentences: "The party's tough stand on welfare"
2. A rack, base, or piece of furniture for holding, supporting, or displaying something.
Example sentences: "A microphone stand"
3. The place where someone typically stands or sits.
Example sentences: "She took her stand in front of the desks"
4. A large raised tiered structure for spectators, typically at a sports arena.
Example sentences: "Her parents watched from the stands"
5. A cessation from motion or progress.
Example sentences: "The train drew to a stand by the signal box"
6. A group of growing plants of a specified kind, especially trees.
Example sentences: "A stand of poplars"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Stand
Stand in Other Languages...