Starch Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Starch? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Words starting with Starch, Synonyms, Words ending with Starch, Example sentences, How to pronounce? Derivations, Antonyms, Related sentences and more...
How to pronounce: stɑːʧ
1. An odorless, tasteless white substance occurring widely in plant tissue and obtained chiefly from cereals and potatoes. It is a polysaccharide which functions as a carbohydrate store and is an important constituent of the human diet.
Example sentences: "The most important polysaccharides are starch, cellulose and glycogen."
2. Powder or spray made from starch and used before ironing to stiffen fabric or clothing.
Example sentences: "Crisp linen, stiff with starch"
3. Stiffness of manner or character.
Example sentences: "The starch in her voice"
1. Stiffen (fabric or clothing) with starch.
Example sentences: "Starch your collar to keep it straight and stiff"
2. (of a boxer) defeat (an opponent) by a knockout.
Keep in Mind
Images related to Starch
Starch in Other Languages...