Stay Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Stay? What is its meaning in the dictionary? How to pronounce? Derivations, Words starting with Stay, Antonyms, Related sentences, Synonyms, Example sentences, Words ending with Stay and more...
How to pronounce: steɪ
1. Remain in the same place.
Example sentences: "You stay here and I'll be back soon"
2. Remain in a specified state or position.
Example sentences: "Her ability to stay calm"
3. (of a person) live somewhere temporarily as a visitor or guest.
Example sentences: "The girls had gone to stay with friends"
4. Stop, delay, or prevent (something), in particular suspend or postpone (judicial proceedings) or refrain from pressing (charges).
Example sentences: "Does the English Court have Jurisdiction to stay the Part 20 Proceedings?"
5. Support or prop up.
1. A period of staying somewhere, in particular of living somewhere temporarily as a visitor or guest.
Example sentences: "An overnight stay at a luxury hotel"
2. A curb or check.
3. A device used as a brace or support.
4. Power of endurance.
1. A large rope, wire, or rod used to support a ship's mast, leading from the masthead to another mast or spar or down to the deck.
Example sentences: "A few minutes later I was shinning up the mast to whip a flag halyard to the stays."
1. Secure or steady (a mast) by means of stays.
Keep in Mind
Images related to Stay
Stay in Other Languages...