Step Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Step? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Related sentences, Words starting with Step, Antonyms, Words ending with Step, Synonyms, How to pronounce? Derivations, Example sentences and more...
How to pronounce: step
1. An act or movement of putting one leg in front of the other in walking or running.
Example sentences: "Ron took a step back"
2. A flat surface, especially one in a series, on which to place one's foot when moving from one level to another.
Example sentences: "The bottom step of the staircase"
3. A measure or action, especially one of a series taken in order to deal with or achieve a particular thing.
Example sentences: "The government must take steps to discourage age discrimination"
4. An interval in a scale; a tone (whole step) or semitone (half step).
5. An abrupt change in the value of a quantity, especially voltage.
Example sentences: "Single channel responses to voltage steps were simulated using the Noise Simulation program."
6. A block, typically fixed to the vessel's keel, on which the base of a mast is seated.
1. Lift and set down one's foot or one foot after the other in order to walk somewhere or move to a new position.
Example sentences: "Claudia tried to step back"
2. Set up (a mast) in its step.
Example sentences: "Gotheborg will remain alongside fitting out and stepping her masts and rigging before starting sea trials in early 2004."
Keep in Mind
Images related to Step
Step in Other Languages...