Strain Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Strain? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Antonyms, Example sentences, Related sentences, Derivations, Words ending with Strain, How to pronounce? Words starting with Strain, Synonyms and more...
How to pronounce: streɪn
1. Force (a part of one's body or oneself) to make a strenuous or unusually great effort.
Example sentences: "I stopped and listened, straining my ears for any sound"
2. Pour (a mainly liquid substance) through a porous or perforated device or material in order to separate out any solid matter.
Example sentences: "Strain the custard into a bowl"
1. A force tending to pull or stretch something to an extreme or damaging degree.
Example sentences: "The usual type of chair puts an enormous strain on the spine"
2. A severe or excessive demand on the strength, resources, or abilities of someone or something.
Example sentences: "The accusations put a strain on relations between the two countries"
3. The sound of a piece of music as it is played or performed.
Example sentences: "Through the open windows came the strains of a hurdy-gurdy playing in the street"
1. A breed, stock, or variety of an animal or plant developed by breeding.
Example sentences: "Australia has been trying to breed better strains of plants and animals for ever."
2. A particular tendency as part of a person's character.
Example sentences: "There's a strain of Victorian rectitude in him"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Strain
Strain in Other Languages...