Struck Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Struck? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Antonyms, Synonyms, Example sentences, Derivations, Words starting with Struck, Related sentences, Words ending with Struck, How to pronounce and more...
How to pronounce: strʌk
1. Hit forcibly and deliberately with one's hand or a weapon or other implement.
Example sentences: "He raised his hand, as if to strike me"
2. (of a disaster, disease, or other unwelcome phenomenon) occur suddenly and have harmful or damaging effects on.
Example sentences: "A major earthquake struck the island"
3. (of a thought or idea) come into the mind of (someone) suddenly or unexpectedly.
Example sentences: "A disturbing thought struck Melissa"
4. (of a clock) indicate the time by sounding a chime or stroke.
Example sentences: "The church clock struck twelve"
5. Ignite (a match) by rubbing it briskly against an abrasive surface.
Example sentences: "The match went out and he struck another"
6. (of employees) refuse to work as a form of organized protest, typically in an attempt to obtain a particular concession or concessions from their employer.
Example sentences: "Workers may strike over threatened job losses"
7. Cancel, remove, or cross out with or as if with a pen.
Example sentences: "I will strike his name from the list"
8. Make (a coin or medal) by stamping metal.
Example sentences: "They struck similar medals on behalf of the Normandy veterans"
9. Reach, achieve, or agree to (something involving agreement, balance, or compromise)
Example sentences: "The team has struck a deal with a sports marketing agency"
10. Discover (gold, minerals, or oil) by drilling or mining.
Example sentences: "If they do strike oil, there will be another test well in a year's time"
11. Move or proceed vigorously or purposefully.
Example sentences: "She struck out into the lake with a practised crawl"
12. Take down (a tent or the tents of an encampment)
Example sentences: "It took ages to strike camp"
13. Insert (a cutting of a plant) in soil to take root.
Example sentences: "Best results are obtained from striking them in a propagator"
14. Secure a hook in the mouth of a fish by jerking or tightening the line after it has taken the bait or fly.
Example sentences: "Only when the rod tip pulls hard over and the fish starts to run with the bait should you strike to set the hook."
1. A refusal to work organized by a body of employees as a form of protest, typically in an attempt to gain a concession or concessions from their employer.
Example sentences: "Dockers voted for an all-out strike"
2. A sudden attack, typically a military one.
Example sentences: "The threat of nuclear strikes"
3. A discovery of gold, minerals, or oil by drilling or mining.
Example sentences: "The Lena goldfields strike of 1912"
4. A batter's unsuccessful attempt to hit a pitched ball.
Example sentences: "By the time the batter swung, strike three was already in the catcher's mitt."
5. The horizontal or compass direction of a stratum, fault, or other geological feature.
Example sentences: "The mine workings follow the strike of the Bonsor Vein"
6. Short for fly strike
Keep in Mind
Images related to Struck
Struck in Other Languages...