Sweep Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Sweep? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Derivations, Antonyms, Example sentences, Words starting with Sweep, How to pronounce? Related sentences, Words ending with Sweep, Synonyms and more...
How to pronounce: swiːp
1. Clean (an area) by brushing away dirt or litter.
Example sentences: "I've swept the floor"
2. Move swiftly and smoothly.
Example sentences: "A large black car swept past the open windows"
3. Search (an area) for something.
Example sentences: "The detective swept the room for hair and fingerprints"
1. An act of sweeping something with a brush.
Example sentences: "I was giving the floor a quick sweep"
2. A long, swift curving movement.
Example sentences: "A grandiose sweep of his hand"
3. A procedure for inducing labor in a pregnant woman, in which a medical practitioner moves a finger around within the opening of the cervix to detach the amniotic membranes.
Example sentences: "I went in for a sweep at 41 weeks"
4. A comprehensive search or survey of a place or area.
Example sentences: "The police finished their sweep through the woods"
5. A long, typically curved stretch of road, river, or land.
Example sentences: "We could see a wide sweep of country perhaps a hundred miles across"
6. A sweepstake.
7. An instance of winning every event, award, or place in a contest.
Example sentences: "A World Series sweep"
8. A long, heavy oar used to row a barge or other vessel.
Example sentences: "A big, heavy sweep oar"
9. A sail of a windmill.
10. A long pole mounted as a lever for raising buckets from a well.
take a ride
Keep in Mind
Images related to Sweep
Sweep in Other Languages...