Switch Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Switch? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Derivations, Words starting with Switch, Related sentences, How to pronounce? Synonyms, Words ending with Switch, Example sentences, Antonyms and more...
How to pronounce: swɪʧ
1. A device for making and breaking the connection in an electric circuit.
Example sentences: "The guard hit a switch and the gate swung open"
2. An act of adopting one policy or way of life, or choosing one type of item, in place of another; a change, especially a radical one.
Example sentences: "His friends were surprised at his switch from newspaper owner to farmer"
3. A slender, flexible shoot cut from a tree.
Example sentences: "The students are lined up in somewhat orderly rows by their class leaders while a few of the teachers oversee the process, swishing small switches recently torn from nearby eucalyptus trees."
4. A junction of two railroad tracks, with a pair of linked tapering rails that can be moved laterally to allow a train to pass from one line to the other.
Example sentences: "In later years private contractors installed the siding while the railway installed the switch."
5. A tress of false or detached hair tied at one end, used in hairdressing to supplement natural hair.
Example sentences: "On an impulse, Katherine reached up with her other hand and flicked her hood off of her head, revealing her long switch of hair."
1. Change the position, direction, or focus of.
Example sentences: "The company switched the boats to other routes"
2. Beat or flick with or as if with a switch.
Keep in Mind
Images related to Switch
Switch in Other Languages...