Tap Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Tap? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Derivations, Synonyms, How to pronounce? Antonyms, Related sentences, Example sentences, Words starting with Tap, Words ending with Tap and more...
How to pronounce: tæp
1. A device by which a flow of liquid or gas from a pipe or container can be controlled.
Example sentences: "She turned the cold tap on"
2. A device connected to a telephone used for listening secretly to someone's conversations.
Example sentences: "Those taps produced hundreds of hours of recordings"
3. An instrument for cutting a threaded hole in a material.
Example sentences: "The Heiner screw box and its original tap are for threads of two-inch nominal diameter with two and a half threads per inch."
4. A taproom.
1. Draw liquid through the tap or spout of (a cask, barrel, or other container)
Example sentences: "Bragging of tests they had aced and kegs they had tapped"
2. Exploit or draw a supply from (a resource)
Example sentences: "Clients from industry seeking to tap Philadelphia's resources of expertise"
3. Connect a device to (a telephone) so that conversation can be listened to secretly.
Example sentences: "The telephones were tapped by the state security police"
4. Cut a thread in (something) to accept a screw.
Example sentences: "On most vices, the metal jaws are drilled and tapped to accept screws"
1. Strike (someone or something) with a quick light blow or blows.
Example sentences: "One of my staff tapped me on the shoulder"
2. Designate or select (someone) for a task or honor, especially membership of an organization or committee.
1. A quick light blow, or the sound of such a blow.
Example sentences: "There was a sharp tap at the door"
2. Tap dancing.
Example sentences: "A rhythm much used in tap"
3. A bugle call for lights to be put out in army quarters.
Example sentences: "The bugler played taps"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Tap
Tap in Other Languages...