Tax Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Tax? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Derivations, Antonyms, Example sentences, Synonyms, Words starting with Tax, How to pronounce? Words ending with Tax, Related sentences and more...
How to pronounce: tæks
1. A compulsory contribution to state revenue, levied by the government on workers' income and business profits, or added to the cost of some goods, services, and transactions.
Example sentences: "Higher taxes will dampen consumer spending"
2. A strain or heavy demand.
Example sentences: "A heavy tax on the reader's attention"
1. Impose a tax on (someone or something)
Example sentences: "Hardware and software is taxed at 7.5 percent"
2. Make heavy demands on (someone's powers or resources)
Example sentences: "She knew that the ordeal to come would tax all her strength"
3. Confront (someone) with a fault or wrongdoing.
Example sentences: "Why are you taxing me with these preposterous allegations?"
4. Examine and assess (the costs of a case)
Example sentences: "An officer taxing a bill of costs"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Tax
Tax in Other Languages...