Token Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Token? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Synonyms, Example sentences, Derivations, Antonyms, Related sentences, Words ending with Token, How to pronounce? Words starting with Token and more...
How to pronounce: ˈtəʊkən
1. A thing serving as a visible or tangible representation of a fact, quality, feeling, etc.
Example sentences: "I wanted to offer you a small token of my appreciation"
2. A voucher that can be exchanged for goods or services, typically one given as a gift or offered as part of a promotional offer.
Example sentences: "Redeem this token for a free dessert"
3. An individual occurrence of a linguistic unit in speech or writing, as contrasted with the type or class of linguistic unit of which it is an instance.
Example sentences: "In other words, speech sounds are merely the arbitrary tokens whereby linguistic exchange is carried out."
4. A sequence of bits passed continuously between nodes in a fixed order and enabling a node to transmit information.
Example sentences: "The first field of bytes which is of fixed length is always present in every message and taken together, these bytes represent a unique message identifier called a token."
5. A member of a minority group included in an otherwise homogeneous set of people in order to give the appearance of diversity.
Example sentences: "The next black actor or actress selected won't know if it's because of their ability and performance or if they're just a token"
1. Done for the sake of appearances or as a symbolic gesture.
Example sentences: "Cases like these often bring just token fines from the courts"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Token
Token in Other Languages...