Tone Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Tone? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Words ending with Tone, Synonyms, Derivations, Related sentences, Antonyms, Words starting with Tone, How to pronounce? Example sentences and more...
How to pronounce: təʊn
1. A musical or vocal sound with reference to its pitch, quality, and strength.
Example sentences: "The piano tone appears monochrome or lacking in warmth"
2. The general character or attitude of a place, piece of writing, situation, etc.
Example sentences: "My friend and I lowered the tone with our oafish ways"
3. A basic interval in classical Western music, equal to two semitones and separating, for example, the first and second notes of an ordinary scale (such as C and D, or E and F sharp); a major second or whole step.
Example sentences: "The B flat clarinet's part is written one tone higher than the pitch required"
4. The particular quality of brightness, deepness, or hue of a tint or shade of a color.
Example sentences: "Stained glass in vivid tones of red and blue"
5. (in some languages, such as Chinese) a particular pitch pattern on a syllable used to make semantic distinctions.
Example sentences: "Ethnic Liberian languages usually contain two or three distinct tones, based on pitch, which indicate semantic or grammatical differences."
6. The normal level of firmness or slight contraction in a resting muscle.The normal level of activity in a nerve fiber.
Example sentences: "A reduction of muscle tone"
1. Give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a muscle)
Example sentences: "Push-ups help tone your abs"
2. Give (a monochrome picture) an altered color in finishing by means of a chemical solution.
Example sentences: "It's a good idea to sepia tone the whole print first"
tone of voice
Keep in Mind
Images related to Tone
Tone in Other Languages...