Tongue Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Tongue? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Example sentences, Related sentences, Derivations, Words ending with Tongue, Synonyms, How to pronounce? Words starting with Tongue, Antonyms and more...
How to pronounce: tʌŋ
1. The fleshy muscular organ in the mouth of a mammal, used for tasting, licking, swallowing, and (in humans) articulating speech.
Example sentences: "Swallowing, which is accomplished by muscle movements in the tongue and mouth, moves the food into the throat, or pharynx."
2. Used in reference to a person's style or manner of speaking.
Example sentences: "He was a redoubtable debater with a caustic tongue"
3. A strip of leather or fabric under the laces in a shoe, attached only at the front end.
Example sentences: "Different models of the shoe had different pump systems, which were integrated into the tongue of the shoe."
4. The free-swinging metal piece inside a bell which is made to strike the bell to produce the sound.
5. A long, low promontory of land.
Example sentences: "Beneath the cries of curlews, low tongues of land balance precariously between sea and marsh."
6. A projecting strip on a wooden board fitting into a groove on another.
Example sentences: "Then remove the board and spread carpenter's glue on the tongues and grooves of the new and old pieces."
7. The vibrating reed of a musical instrument or organ pipe.
8. A jet of flame.
Example sentences: "A tongue of flame flashes four feet from the gun"
1. Sound (a note) distinctly on a wind instrument by interrupting the air flow with the tongue.
2. Lick or caress with the tongue.
Example sentences: "The other horse tongued every part of the colt's mane"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Tongue
Tongue in Other Languages...