Union Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Union? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Derivations, Related sentences, Words ending with Union, How to pronounce? Example sentences, Antonyms, Synonyms, Words starting with Union and more...
How to pronounce: ˈjuːnɪən
1. The action or fact of joining or being joined, especially in a political context.
Example sentences: "He was opposed to closer political or economic union with Europe"
2. A club, society, or association formed by people with a common interest or purpose.
Example sentences: "Members of the Students' Union"
3. A number of parishes consolidated for the purposes of administering the Poor Laws.
Example sentences: "In addition, the new Act created a commission to supervise the establishment of unions of parishes in England and Wales."
4. A political unit consisting of a number of states or provinces with the same central government.
5. The set that comprises all the elements (and no others) contained in any of two or more given sets.
Example sentences: "In what follows, we will apply results about centroids of domains to unions of curves or line segments."
6. A pipe coupling.
Example sentences: "The vertical gas line comes to a T joint below the union toward the bottom side of the water heater and is connected to the top vertical opening of the T joint."
7. A part of a flag with an emblem symbolizing national union, typically occupying the upper corner next to the staff.
8. A fabric made of two or more different yarns, typically cotton and linen or silk.
9. A building at a college or university used by students for recreation and other nonacademic activities.
Example sentences: "But the scene in their London Bridge rehearsal room couldn't be further removed from Canterbury Christchurch University College student union."
1. An industrial and residential township in northeastern New Jersey; population 53,673 (est. 2008).
Keep in Mind
Images related to Union
Union in Other Languages...