Up Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Up? What is its meaning in the dictionary? How to pronounce? Synonyms, Words starting with Up, Example sentences, Derivations, Related sentences, Antonyms, Words ending with Up and more...
How to pronounce: ʌp
1. Toward a higher place or position.
Example sentences: "He jumped up"
2. At or to a higher level of intensity, volume, or activity.
Example sentences: "She turned the volume up"
3. To the place where someone is.
Example sentences: "Dot didn't hear Mrs. Parvis come creeping up behind her"
4. Toward or in the capital or a major city.
Example sentences: "Give me a ring when you're up in London"
5. Into the desired or a proper condition.
Example sentences: "The mayor agreed to set up a committee"
6. Into a happy mood.
Example sentences: "I don't think anything's going to cheer me up"
7. Out of bed.
Example sentences: "Miranda hardly ever got up for breakfast"
8. Displayed on a bulletin board or other publicly visible site.
Example sentences: "He put up posters around the city"
9. (of sailing) against the current or the wind.
Example sentences: "The bow of the boat was brought slowly up into the wind and held there"
10. At bat.
Example sentences: "Every time up, he had a different stance"
1. From a lower to a higher point on (something); upward along.
Example sentences: "She climbed up a flight of steps"
1. Directed or moving toward a higher place or position.
Example sentences: "The up escalator"
2. At an end.
Example sentences: "His contract was up in three weeks"
3. (of a computer system or industrial process) functioning properly.
Example sentences: "The system is now up"
4. In a cheerful mood; ebullient.
Example sentences: "The mood here is resolutely up"
5. (of a jockey) in the saddle.
6. Denoting a flavor (variety) of stable quark having relatively low mass and an electric charge of +2/3. In the Standard Model protons and neutrons are composed of up and down quarks.
1. A period of good fortune or positive mood.
1. Do something abruptly or boldly.
2. Cause (a level or amount) to be increased.
Example sentences: "Capacity will be upped by 70 percent next year"
3. Lift (something) up.
Example sentences: "Everybody was cheering and upping their glasses"
1. Upper Peninsula (of the state of Michigan)
2. Uttar Pradesh.
to the top
Keep in Mind
Images related to Up
Up in Other Languages...