Wake Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Wake? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Words ending with Wake, Words starting with Wake, Synonyms, Example sentences, Derivations, Antonyms, How to pronounce? Related sentences and more...
How to pronounce: weɪk
1. Emerge or cause to emerge from a state of sleep; stop sleeping.
Example sentences: "She woke up feeling better"
2. Hold a vigil beside (someone who has died)
1. A watch or vigil held beside the body of someone who has died, sometimes accompanied by ritual observances including eating and drinking.
Example sentences: "He was attending a friend's wake"
2. (in some parts of the UK) a festival and holiday held annually in a rural parish, originally on the feast day of the patron saint of the church.
Example sentences: "His workers absented themselves for the local wakes"
1. A trail of disturbed water or air left by the passage of a ship or aircraft.
Example sentences: "The reason given for this crash was that the aircraft flew into the wake of another aircraft, and the pilot lost control of it."
go to sleep
Keep in Mind
Images related to Wake
Wake in Other Languages...