Walking Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Walking? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Synonyms, How to pronounce? Antonyms, Words ending with Walking, Example sentences, Derivations, Related sentences, Words starting with Walking and more...
How to pronounce: ˈwɔːkɪŋ
How to pronounce: wɔːk
1. Move at a regular pace by lifting and setting down each foot in turn, never having both feet off the ground at once.
Example sentences: "I walked across the lawn"
2. Guide, accompany, or escort (someone) on foot.
Example sentences: "He walked her home to her door"
3. (of a thing) go missing or be stolen.
4. Abandon or suddenly withdraw from a job or commitment.
5. (of a batsman) leave the field without waiting to be given out by the umpire.
Example sentences: "Increasingly, it seems, such restraint, like a batsman walking when he nicks it, has gone the way of the dodo."
6. Reach first base automatically after not hitting at four balls pitched outside the strike zone.
7. (of a ghost) be visible; appear.
Example sentences: "The ghosts of Bannockburn walked abroad"
8. Live or behave in a particular way.
Example sentences: "Walk humbly with your God"
1. An act of travelling or an outing on foot.
Example sentences: "He was too restless to sleep, so he went out for a walk"
2. A route recommended or marked out for recreational walking.
Example sentences: "There are picnic places and waymarked walks"
3. An unhurried rate of movement on foot.
Example sentences: "They crossed the field at a leisurely walk"
4. A part of a forest under one keeper.
Example sentences: "Helen hitches a ride to Ashley Walk with New Forest Verderer Anthony Pasmore."
5. A farm where a hound puppy is trained.
6. An instance of reaching first base automatically after not hitting at four balls pitched outside the strike zone.
Example sentences: "It's still three strikes you're out and four balls for a walk but so much of the fun is gone."
7. A flock of snipe.
Example sentences: "A party of hunters could wipe out a walk of snipe in a morning."
take a walk
Keep in Mind
Images related to Walking
Walking in Other Languages...