Water Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Water? What is its meaning in the dictionary? How to pronounce? Synonyms, Antonyms, Example sentences, Words starting with Water, Related sentences, Words ending with Water, Derivations and more...
How to pronounce: ˈwɔːtə
1. A colorless, transparent, odorless liquid that forms the seas, lakes, rivers, and rain and is the basis of the fluids of living organisms.
Example sentences: "They are dissolved in warm water and the liquid is taken as a drink between meals."
2. A stretch or area of water, such as a river, sea, or lake.
Example sentences: "The lawns ran down to the water's edge"
4. The amniotic fluid surrounding a fetus in the womb, especially as discharged in a flow shortly before birth.
Example sentences: "I think my waters have broken"
5. The quality of transparency and brilliance shown by a diamond or other gem.
6. Capital stock that represents a book value greater than the true assets of a company.
1. Pour or sprinkle water over (a plant or area) in order to encourage plant growth.
Example sentences: "I went out to water the geraniums"
2. (of the eyes) become full of moisture or tears.
Example sentences: "Rory blinked, his eyes watering"
3. Dilute or adulterate (a drink, typically an alcoholic one) with water.
Example sentences: "Staff at the club had been watering down the drinks"
4. Increase (a company's debt, or nominal capital) by the issue of new shares without a corresponding addition to assets.
give to drink
Keep in Mind
Images related to Water
Water in Other Languages...