Wave Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Wave? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Synonyms, Related sentences, Words starting with Wave, Words ending with Wave, Antonyms, Example sentences, How to pronounce? Derivations and more...
How to pronounce: weɪv
1. Move one's hand to and fro in greeting or as a signal.
Example sentences: "He waved to me from the train"
2. Move to and fro with a swaying or undulating motion while remaining fixed to one point.
Example sentences: "The flag waved in the wind"
3. Style (hair) so that it curls slightly.
Example sentences: "Her hair had been carefully waved for the evening"
1. A long body of water curling into an arched form and breaking on the shore.
Example sentences: "He was swept out to sea by a freak wave"
2. A sudden occurrence of or increase in a specified phenomenon, feeling, or emotion.
Example sentences: "A wave of strikes had effectively paralyzed the government"
3. A gesture or signal made by moving one's hand to and fro.
Example sentences: "He gave a little wave and walked off"
4. A slightly curling lock of hair.
Example sentences: "His hair was drying in unruly waves"
5. A periodic disturbance of the particles of a substance which may be propagated without net movement of the particles, such as in the passage of undulating motion, heat, or sound.
Example sentences: "Song production clearly involves some metabolic cost to a bird because energy is transmitted to the surroundings in the form of sound pressure waves."
Keep in Mind
Images related to Wave
Wave in Other Languages...