Weight Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Weight? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Synonyms, Antonyms, Words starting with Weight, Words ending with Weight, Derivations, How to pronounce? Related sentences, Example sentences and more...
How to pronounce: weɪt
1. A body's relative mass or the quantity of matter contained by it, giving rise to a downward force; the heaviness of a person or thing.
Example sentences: "He was at least 175 pounds in weight"
2. A piece of metal known to weigh a definite amount and used on scales to determine how heavy an object or quantity of a substance is.
Example sentences: "Abu Ammar pondered this a moment as he put the bags on the old brass scale and adjusted the weights."
3. The ability of someone or something to influence decisions or actions.
Example sentences: "A recommendation by the committee will carry great weight"
4. The surface density of cloth, used as a measure of its quality.
Example sentences: "Keep two weights of press cloths on hand and use them appropriately."
1. Hold (something) down by placing a heavy object on top of it.
Example sentences: "A mug half filled with coffee weighted down a stack of papers"
2. Attach importance or value to.
Example sentences: "Speaking, reading, and writing should be weighted equally in the assessment"
3. Assign a handicap weight to (a horse).
Example sentences: "A total of 267 entries have been weighted for the Melbourne Cup, and 279 for the Caulfield Cup."
4. Treat (a fabric) with a substance to make it seem thicker and heavier.
Keep in Mind
Images related to Weight
Weight in Other Languages...