Whip Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Whip? What is its meaning in the dictionary? How to pronounce? Derivations, Antonyms, Synonyms, Related sentences, Words starting with Whip, Example sentences, Words ending with Whip and more...
How to pronounce: wɪp
1. A strip of leather or length of cord fastened to a handle, used for flogging or beating a person or for urging on an animal.
Example sentences: "I wouldn't be surprised if they walked around their office wearing tight leather and vinyl with whips and riding crops at their sides."
2. An official of a political party appointed to maintain discipline among its members in Congress or Parliament, especially so as to ensure attendance and voting in debates.
Example sentences: "It is almost certain that a government with a decent Parliamentary majority will win this as the bill represents what that government wants and the party whips will ensure that a smooth vote takes place."
3. A dessert consisting of cream or eggs beaten into a light fluffy mass with fruit, chocolate, or other ingredients.
Example sentences: "The fritters and walnut whip are now ready to be enjoyed."
4. Short for whipper-in
Example sentences: "The ‘whips’ must not allow the hounds to go onto land where hunting is not permitted."
5. A slender, unbranched shoot or plant.
6. A scythe for cutting specified crops.
Example sentences: "A grass whip"
7. A rope-and-pulley hoisting apparatus.
Example sentences: "You can shorten the pulley whip down to 350mm although most that I know of go to about 400."
8. A car.
1. Beat (a person or animal) with a whip or similar instrument, especially as a punishment or to urge them on.
Example sentences: "Lewis whipped the boy twenty times"
2. Move fast or suddenly in a specified direction.
Example sentences: "I whipped around the corner"
3. Beat (cream, eggs, or other food) into a froth.
Example sentences: "You can whip melted chocolate like cream, the fat and the lecithin acting as a stabilizer for the foam."
4. Steal (something)
5. Bind (something) with spirally wound twine.
Example sentences: "The side linings are whipped or hemmed"
Keep in Mind
Images related to Whip
Whip in Other Languages...