Works Meaning and Definition
What is the definition Works? What is its meaning in the dictionary? Related sentences, Words starting with Works, Derivations, Words ending with Works, Antonyms, Synonyms, How to pronounce? Example sentences and more...
How to pronounce: wɜːks
How to pronounce: wɜːk
1. Activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.
Example sentences: "He was tired after a day's work"
2. A task or tasks to be undertaken.
Example sentences: "They made sure the work was progressing smoothly"
3. A thing or things done or made; the result of an action.
Example sentences: "Her work hangs in all the main American collections"
4. A place or premises in which industrial or manufacturing processes are carried out.
Example sentences: "He found a job in the locomotive works"
5. The operative part of a clock or other machine.
Example sentences: "She could almost hear the tick of its works"
6. A defensive structure.
Example sentences: "Just north of the fort were trenches and the freshly reconstructed patriot siege works"
7. The exertion of force overcoming resistance or producing molecular change.
Example sentences: "The walker's muscles must do this amount of work, to replace the lost kinetic energy, in every step."
8. Everything needed, desired, or expected.
1. Be engaged in physical or mental activity in order to achieve a result; do work.
Example sentences: "She has been working so hard"
2. (of a machine or system) function, especially properly or effectively.
Example sentences: "His phone doesn't work unless he goes to a high point"
3. (of a plan or method) have the desired result or effect.
Example sentences: "The desperate ploy had worked"
4. Bring (a material or mixture) to a desired shape or consistency by hammering, kneading, etc.
Example sentences: "Work the mixture into a paste with your hands"
5. Move or cause to move gradually or with difficulty into another position.
Example sentences: "Comb hair from tip to root, working out the knots at the end"
6. Bring into a specified emotional state.
Example sentences: "Harold had worked himself into a minor rage"
body of work
do some work
be at work
be in operation
put to work
Keep in Mind
Images related to Works
Works in Other Languages...